Sunday, May 08, 2005

What's with the blowouts?

OK, I confess that I am only following the NBA finals in a somewhat haphazard way since my beloved Lakers aren't in it this year. But I tuned in to the two quarterfinal Game Sevens on Saturday, and the two semis tonight. Every Single Freakin One was a blowout. What is up with that? Blowouts are boring & show a lack of parity in the league if they happen a lot. I hope it was a fluke & the playoffs get more interesting.

And, I know it's fashionable to be a Laker-hater everywhere except Los Angeles... you know, they're-Ego-Central-and-serves-em-right-to-lose-Shaq, and all that. But, I can't help it, I grew up in L.A. during the Showtime era: the holy basketball trinity of Magic, Kareem, and Big Game James; and Riles' guarantee. And my dad has been a Lakers fan since the days of Elgin Baylor & Jerry West & Jack Kent Cooke's shrewd horsetrading for Wilt the Stilt, holding one or the other of his daughters on his lap while listening to the game on the radio, stuttering out yet another Lakers-Celts playoff game. It's in my blood. I can't root for the Pacers, even if they are the closest team to me geographically. I'll be a Chiefs fan, but that's as far as I can go.

No comments: