Sunday, May 22, 2005

Here comes the Sun

A few posts back, I lamented my lack of summery knitting as I refused to face another row of wool-mohair scarfiness. (That scarf will make me crazy. This is my third attempt with the yarn. Hell, I've decided, is frogging mohair over & over.)

Well! All is not lost. Digging in the bottom on the stash bin for something completely unrelated, I fortuitously happened upon 2 bags of Schachenmayr Micro Big Shine, a drapey microfiber plied with a shimmery viscose twist, in a pretty, summery shade called lindgrun, which I think translates to "leaf green" or something like that. I had originally intended it for something that I liked less & less as I thought about it, so I threw it in the bin to wait until inspiration struck. Now it looked like a lifesaver. Down went the mohair; I immediately cast on a modified Soleil. (The modifications are due to my plus-size status; I am doing 22 repeats of the lace, and will skip the waist shaping, since I don't have much of a waist anymore. But anyway.)


Here's the bottom edge of Soleil, most of the way through the third lace repeat. It is being modeled by a very cooperative chair back, who complains less than my daughter. It's hard to see it very clearly at this stage, it's kind of scrunchy on the needles just yet, but I'm very happy to have a project just now that doesn't have a speck of wool in it.

1 comment:

Elisabeth Lincoln said...

Gorgeous color choice for Soleil!