Friday, May 13, 2005

More sox

Fiesta feet!
Here's my latest pair of socks, a pattern of my own design made with Elann's Sock It To Me! Colori in the colorway "Cancun Fiesta". Wool socks just in time for summer... hmmm, maybe I should plan a little better.

My mini-review: SITM is a fine sock yarn to work with, it doesn't have the tendency of some other sock yarns to twist & split. I've knit with it a lot. It's 75% superwash wool, 25% polyamide, so I wash them in the washing machine, regular cycle, in one of those little lingerie bags & just lay them flat to dry, and haven't had any problems with shrinking or felting. The colors are much more vibrant in person. I'm blaming the muddiness of the image on the oldness of the digital camera... well, that & huz dropped it the other day, the camera's case is held together with duct tape now. But anyway.

I'll fess up! The sock on my right foot has actually been done for four months or so... I wore it as a singleton for a couple weeks after my foot surgery in February, when I only needed one sock because one foot was in a soft cast. It's been washed a few times. The yarn softens up beautifully with washing & blooms just a tiny bit.

My pattern, sadly, sucked. I was trying a couple things out & they didn't totally work, but they didn't totally not work, either, so I didn't frog. (I did a very deep short-row pocket instead of a heel flap, and I finished the toes with a 3-needle bindoff instead of grafting. I probably won't do either of those things on a sock again.) The cheeriness of the colors is such that I can ignore the minor sucky things about the sock & just wear them anyway. So there :-)

No comments: