Monday, February 13, 2006

YAP Sox

In knitting news, the board-clearing continues as I finally got around to kitchenering the toes of the YAP Sox over the weekend. "YAP Sox" stands for "yet another pair of socks" and these were so dull that I didn't even bother to take a picture. Just imagine a pair of charcoal-grey stockinette boot socks: warm, comfy, & boring. The main excitement here stems from being able to cross them off the list.

I am down to two projects -- a lace mohair scarf that's 3/4 of the way done, and my swatches for the TKGA level 1 course. My next project will be something BIG -- SUBSTANTIAL -- CHALLENGING. No more scarves for a bit! I have two very different sweaters in the queue; now tell me (in comments), which do you think I ought to cast on?

a) A saddle-shoulder ribbed crew for Mike that I have been promising him forever, knit in a linen-like hemp fiber. (Pattern will be from the uber-useful Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns.)
Pros: Interesting fiber; will finally get it done & fulfill my promise.
Cons: Somewhat boring; low risk of invoking the sweater curse (although I don't know how much that applies when I've been married to the guy for 17 years.)

b) The gorgeous tunic-like Ragna from Viking Knits, in a peacock-green worsted wool.
Pros: Much cooler pattern with high wow factor; easier on the hands.
Cons: Less portable because of intricate cable pattern; wool isn't fun to work when the weather gets warm.

Your comments are appreciated.

2 comments:

ChelleC said...

Hey, when is your birthday? If you get a chance, email me your BD and your contact information for the group list that we keep.

As for the poll: I'd make the sweater for Mike simply because he looks like a nice guy, and you've been promising for a while. He probably deserves a nice sweater. Plus, when you need a portable project, you can always do YAPS. Chelle

Anonymous said...

Definately the hubmeister's sweater. It will be done, he'll be happy, you'll be happy it's done, and you're a great wife.