Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Disaster comic relief

I was chatting with a co-worker today about the crazy weather of late. Here in Missouri, of course, we're having severe flooding from the same storm system that caused all that trouble in Kansas. We're staying dry, but lots of folks in the river bottoms are in bad shape. Then she asked if I had any family being affected by the Griffith Park fire. I explained to her a little bit about Los Angeles geography, the thrust of the Santa Monica mountains into the heart of the city, and why there's so much wilderness in an otherwise crowded urban area. She told me next that her daughter in Tallahassee had just sent her an email complaining about the smoke from the Florida fires.

She sighed and shook her head. "The whole country is like my tuna casserole," she said. "Crispy on the edges, mushy in the middle."

No comments: