Saturday, September 23, 2006

Moebius Stripes

Moebius loop; please ignore the crazy hairA quickie project I knocked out while I was travelling last week (I went to Wisconsin again for another round of software training.)

Yarn: KnitPick's Shamrock
Needles: 9
Pattern: Adapted from Cat Bordhi's A Treasury of Magical Knitting, it's a Moebius loop knitted in three rounds knit, three rounds purl, which makes a lateral stripe. It's the perfect length to make a double loop around my neck & nestle in a jacket collar.

One thing I have learned about Moebius loops -- they have handedness! I suppose if I had thought about it, I would have realized that one can have either a right-handed or a left-handed loop, same as a corkscrew... but it never occurred to me. I've found that I have to wrap this thing around my head in a particular direction, though, or I get three twists (ugly) instead of one (pretty). Go figure.

3 comments:

Carol said...

This is so cool. I was watching a Knitty Gritty that I Tivo'd and it happened to be a moebius scarf. It was so interesting to find that it was knitted from the center out. I have that on my list for future projects.

Excellent job!

Laura said...

Oh cool! How did you like working with Shamrock? It's a new one I've not ordered, yet.

ChelleC said...

I think my Mom may be working on one of these, or one very similar. She just started it the other day.