Thursday, September 14, 2006

How Much Wood Would a... you know

No more woodchucks!Further proof that we are now living in the hinterlands! Coming home this afternoon, I was startled & bemused by a strange-looking creature hanging out on the grass across the street. I'd never seen anything quite like it... it looked like a cross between an overweight beaver & a squirrel on steroids. It was actually an honest-to-gosh woodchuck. Apparently they are quite common here. Who knew?

Note: I didn't have the camera with me, so this isn't "our" woodchuck; it's an image borrowed from the Massachusetts Audubon Society website. But he looked just like this guy, really.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Ah HA! THAT'S like the little bugger who lived under our front sidewalk. He likes to hang out in the back yard and eat the fallen crabapples.

Maenwyn said...

I saw one standing beside the road on the way home today, just waiting to cross, I guess.

They're great animals.

Laura said...

Unless they're burrowed under your front sidewalk, destroying your columbines and messing up the rocks.

Just sayin.
:D