Saturday, March 18, 2006

Dyeing to Try It

A little while back, I picked up a one-pound cone of undyed sock wool on eBay, home of ridiculous & impulsive bargains for knitters. Then I had to figure out what to do with said yarn. The short term answer was, "Stick it in the stash bin until a project comes along for it."

A few weeks after that, Jen told me about the Six Sox Knitalong, which I promptly joined. I came in too late for the February sock, but I'm looking forward to the April pattern. The shopping list tells us to get something in "a nice spring color", so I figured it was time to try my hand at yarn dyeing.

Winding upFirst I had to skein the yarn in 50-gr. hanks. Hmm, how am I going to do this? I have a ball-winder, but nothing that will make skeins. I asked Mike if he could make something up for me. We started talking about a board-and-two-pegs arrangement, but then I mused, "What I really need is a niddy noddy." Once he got done laughing at the name, he said he had some PVC out in the garage that he could use. He disappeared for half an hour or so & came back with a butt-ugly but perfectly utilitarian niddy, which I put to immediate use. I skeined up the yarn much faster than I could probably have done with the chair-back arrangement I thought I was going to have to use.

The world's only niddy with an odometer.  Really.Then, because I am married to Mike and Mike is That Guy, he decided he was going to improve the B.U.B.P.U. niddy by installing some kind of counting device on it. (He was probably sick of listening to me chant "Twenty-one, two, three, four, twenty-two, two, three, four, twenty-three..." as I wound the yarn.) He disappeared into the garage again & returned this time with a doohickey that looks like it was scrounged off of an old odometer. He added a bolt that works as a thumb lever, zip-tied it to the B.U.B.P.U.N.'s main shaft, and voilá, I now have a counter to keep track of how much I have wound.

In the meantime, I inventoried the Kool-Aid in the pantry. I have been wanting to try my hand at Kool-Aid dyeing for a while, and the fruity colors seemed like just the thing for a pretty spring sock. I found a few envelopes of Cherry, which the kids don't seem to like much, so... PINK SOCKS it is!

Ding, fries are doneDyeing with Kool-Aid is actually super-easy, although I did manage to goof up a few things. The nice part is it's all food-safe, so you don't have to use special pans & tools; you just use what's in the kitchen. I nuked the yarn for a few two-minute rounds & got a nice saturated pinky-red color.
Washing after the dye bath...Some of the color came out in the wash, but it still kept a nice cherry pink color. I had a few uneven spots, and actually put the first skein back in the dye bath for another round, but it turned out mostly even after that.
... and the final rinseA cool-water rinse follows. Mike got another laugh from my squeezing-the-water-out technique: I roll the skein in an old towel & then sit on it for a few moments. Gets it pretty dry, really.
The drying rack, which is an odd shape because it fits inside the clothes dryer.Here they are drying on the rack. If you can't see the uneven spots, I'm not gonna point them out. I think it makes them look fine anyway. If I wanted a perfect dye job, I would have bought commercially-dyed yarn.


Can't wait to see the Six Sox pattern on April 1st!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a guy, a Niddy, from the garage. Wish I had one. The useful husband, that is. I have a Niddy...it used to be an easel. Now I have to dye some yarn, too. Just so I won't feel left out.

Boo in L.A. said...

it's not exactly a knitting-related comment, but dearheart, you are looking good :)