Monday, September 12, 2005

Corset, mark 2

Same thing only biggerThings I have learned while making the corset for my costume:
1. How to alter princess seams to upsize. (The largest pattern size in Misses is still several sizes smaller than I require; I couldn't find a pattern in my size anywhere. Why don't they do costume patterns in plus sizes?!?!)
2. If you run out of Prussian tape, you can make do with grosgrain ribbon as long as it's not a stress point.
3. If you're too lazy to change, wearing jeans under your partial costume makes you look even bigger, which can be a bit scary if you're a widebody to begin with.
4. Forgetting sunscreen is always bad. (OK, I learned that at the pool yesterday.)

Corsets are surprisingly comfortable to wear, even at my size. I expected it to be a lot more constricted-feeling, but it's actually not bad at all -- except when I forget & start slouching a bit when I sit. Actually, it's virtually impossible to slouch while wearing one of these babies. It doesn't make me look small, exactly (nothing would), but it does look rather imposing, doesn't it? This from an era where "matronly" was more synonymous with distinguished than frumpy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really admire your sewing skill. I can't even adjust yarn patterns whatsomore sewing ones. Looks like you've done VERY well. And no thanks, you haven't talked me into wanting to wear a corset. Chelle