Friday, September 23, 2005

4T&L Revealed

Domestic Overlord is the winner!

1. I once received a letter from then-President Nixon.
True. When I was in the third grade, a report on the evening news about Christmas trees prompted me to write a letter to the President about our artificial tree. I got back a brief form letter signed by the President, attached to a white paper about conservation & forestry standards which went waaaay over the average eight-year-old's head. Less than a year later, Nixon resigned in disgrace. Coincidence? You judge.

2. I used to train with a gold medalist in college.
True. My fencing coach was Francis Zold, the captain of the Hungarian team in '48. He came to the United States in the '50s and taught at USC and Pomona-Pitzer for the next three hundred years or so. Seriously, the guy was about 80 & still going strong while I was there. (He died in 2003 at the age of 99.) His accent was so thick that he was almost incomprehensible. "You very bee-yoo-tiful gurrrrl, but morrrre from eeeeps [hips]."

3. I officiated at my best friend’s wedding.
True. I was an ordained minister of the Temple of the Elder Gods (now defunct). I married my friends Miriam & Cliff in a lovely beachside ceremony in 1990. Since they are still happily wedded (for the most part), I can say that I have a 100% success rate on marriages I have performed.

4. I can still do a handstand.
False. Come on, guys, did you look at my picture? Actually, I could never do a handstand.

5. While visiting Italy, I wound up in the emergency room with a minor head injury, which took four stitches.
True. I became lightheaded half a block from the famous Trevi Fountain, fainted dead away, and bashed my head on a marble step. A truly terrifying taxi ride to the hospital was next. No one in the emergency room spoke English, and I didn't speak a word of Italian, so we made do on fractured French (one nurse spoke un peu de français). Let me tell you, Italian docs take big old Frankenstein stitches. I still have a scar on the back of my head, but it's covered by my hair.

Hey, this was fun! Thanks for playing & make sure you check out Domestic Overlord's lies. Since she's already done one round, the next one she comes up with should be a doozy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Re: #3---Actually, Kay, you married us in 1993, not 1990, but all the rest is true. You did an awesome job, too!!!

Miriam