Sunday, August 21, 2005

Underpinnings

Ali learns to breathe in a corsetThe underpinnings are done for Ali's costume. Sort of. Note the distinctly unsatisfying lack of fullness in the petticoat, which does NOT have a hoop. The crinoline hoopskirt was patented in 1854, so I guess it's not technically out of period for this dress (which is supposed to be shooting for 1855), but I have opted against it for the following reasons:
1. A crinoline might be seen on a fashionable woman in New York or Boston in '55, but we are supposed to be re-enacting 1855 Missouri, which wouldn't have had access to the latest thing. Women here probably weren't wearing crinolines for another few years.
2. They are absolutely vexing to wear & I don't want to have to try to teach Ali how to sit down in a hoop.

So, I have a two-pronged attack plan, designed to solve the problem of making the skirt stand out more. One, I will add a corded petticoat underneath this one. Two, I will starch the hell out of both petticoats until they just about stand on their own. Should get a lot of volume that way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you're absolutely right about the hoop...they are a pain.

BTW, I have a book of late 1800s knitting patterns with all kinds of cool stuff if you're interested. Stockings! Knitted underdrawers for your man. What a hoot.