Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Alien Encounter

I finished Hunter's scarf, the Alien Illusion pattern from Stitch 'n Bitch. It turned out great! I used Brown Sheep's Nature Spun in Spring Green & Pepper, the recommended yarn; but I modified the pattern a bit -- I knit it doubled, in the round, to hide the wrong side & to make it even warmer. This is intended to be a dead-of-winter scarf.

Nature Spun is a joy to knit, a nice springy wool that softens beautifully with blocking. I've decided it's my new favorite wool. :-)

The alien pattern is cool! Illusion patterns are made by alternating knits & purl stitches in the alternating colors, and it only shows if you look at it obliquely. I had to stand on a chair to get the photo. LOL

Tip of the Day for working with a charted pattern, like Alien: Put a stitch marker at whatever point corresponds to the heavy line on the grid. (Alien is published on a 10x10 grid pattern, so I used a marker every 10th stitch.) This made it way easier to keep track of where I was on the chart.

No comments: