Sunday, October 19, 2008

Obama comes to KC

On the lawn at the Obama rallyYesterday, I took the kids down to Liberty Memorial Park to see Senator Barack Obama speak at a campaign rally. We were three of the 75,000-plus who turned out to see him in Kansas City. It was amazing! I'll leave it to the political blogs to do the in-depth analysis on his various policy positions... I'll just say that the man is a flat-out inspiration.

Waiting is always easier for a knitterWe got there a little before two, and waited in line for a couple hours before they let us into the park. Then we waited for a couple more hours before the speeches started. Of course, I was representing Knitters for Obama. Got a solid four inches of ribbing done on Mike's Antifreeze hat, too.

On the stump as evening fallsObama's stump speech is thoughtful and engaging. He hit all the high notes... healthcare, education, and especially taxes... but he also repeated the story about stopping in a little diner while campaigning in Ohio for a slice of sweet-potato pie. You gotta love a man whose face lights up when he talks about sweet-potato pie.

Missouri is by no means a done deal, and I'll be working my patootie off for the next sixteen days along with all of the rest of the Obama volunteers here in the effort to turn MO blue. But I've got a really, really good feeling here.

No comments: