Thursday, March 15, 2007

Cold Weather Corset

Cold Weather Corset, just in time for springCold Weather Corset
Yarn: Austermann's Melissa
Colorway: Tapenade
Needles: 11
(i-cord lace is Paton's Merino Classic in Leaf Green)

Damn, another vest that came out too big. I have trouble knitting stuff for myself that has to walk the line between fitted & tight. I'm so convinced it's going to be too small that I end up giving myself way too much ease. Is this a big-grrl thing, or is it just me?

Anyway, the Melissa is beautiful and drapey, but the chenille has almost no spring or memory, so the ribbing at the side doesn't draw in at all. And the armhole is way too droopy, as I am demonstrating in the bathroom mirror here. (Please be kind enough to ignore the clutter on the bathroom counter.)

Overall, I'm not too thrilled with how it turned out, but it is quite soft & warm. It'll make a good middle layer when the weather gets cold again. And the colors are wonderful.

Next up: Hunter wants to be Harry Potter for Hallowe'en, so it's a Quidditch sweater from -- you guessed it -- Elann Highland Wool, my fave basic wool that comes in every color you can think of. Lots of 2x2 ribbing in my future.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Let's see,
LOVE the sweater, even with the armholes.

Bathroom counters 'live' for clutter.

I adore Elann's Highland Wool, too. I want every heathered color they have and I want it in mass quantities.

It'll be fun to see how your Quidditch sweater goes along.

ChelleC said...

Kay, yes, I see what you mean about the armholes, but probably only because you pointed it out and you have your arms raised to take the picture. Very nice vest. I love vests, and this one will be comfy. Personally, I strive for comfort above all else!